The insurance company says my car is a total loss and is offering me less money than I think it’s worth. Am I stuck with what they want to pay me?

If the insurance company determines that the cost of repairs exceeds the vehicle’s current value, it can declare it totaled and offer a cash settlement. The settlement should reflect the value of a similar vehicle as identified by popular guides (such as the National Automobile Dealers Association or Kelley Blue Book guides), a quote from a qualified local dealer, or a quote from a N.Y. Insurance Department-approved computerized database.