Who is allowed to bring a wrongful death case?

A surviving husband or wife may pursue a wrongful death claim for their deceased spouse. If there is no surviving spouse, the decedent’s children may pursue the case. If the decedent does not have a surviving spouse or children, the decedent’s parents may file the claim. Absent those relations, another relative or individual may be appointed as administrator of the decedent’s estate to pursue the case on behalf of the estate.