A collision with a tractor-trailer or other large commercial vehicle often results in serious, even fatal, injuries to the victims. The Syracuse truck accident attorneys at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, understand the physical, emotional, and financial impact that a truck accident can have on victims and their families.
Of course, nothing can replace a lost loved one or take away the trauma you suffered as a victim of a truck accident. However, if someone else was responsible for causing the crash, then they should be held accountable and you should be compensated for your pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages and other expenses. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a New York truck accident, you need an experienced Syracuse personal injury attorney.
The law firm of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, represents clients in Syracuse and surrounding areas. Let our Syracuse truck accident lawyers put their knowledge to work for you. Call our office in Syracuse at (315) 314-5390 or 315-314-5390 or get in touch with us via our online contact form for a FREE case review. We make house calls.
About New York Truck Accidents
Figures from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles indicate that large trucks were involved in 96 fatal accidents during 2011. That same year there were a total of 11,648 collisions in which a large truck was involved. Along with the 96 fatal injuries, another 5,505 people received non-fatal injuries as a result of a large truck collision in New York State that year.
A truck accident can be caused by many of the same contributing factors that cause a car accident. However, because of the nature of the trucking industry and the type of vehicle involved, there are some contributing factors that are more common in truck accident collisions than in other vehicular crashes. Truck drivers typically spend long hours alone on the road. Frequently, they are also trying to meet difficult delivery schedules or are trying to push on past fatigue in order to make more money. As a result, some of the more common factors that lead to a truck accident include:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is a leading cause of all crashes. However, a truck driver may be more likely to be talking on the phone to loved ones at home or trying to read navigational and dispatch devices, which can lead to a collision.
- Drowsy driving – A fatigued driver can be as dangerous as an intoxicated driver. Although federal laws dictate how long a truck driver can be on the road between rest periods, some truck drivers ignore these laws in an effort to stick to delivery schedules or make extra money.
- Alcohol and drug use — Even legal prescription medications or over-the-counter medications can affect a driver’s ability to make decisions or can contribute to drowsy driving.
- Speeding and reckless driving — While many truck drivers are respectful of other motorists, some believe that their size and weight allows them to ignore the rules of the road. Speeding, tailgating and other forms of aggressive driving are even more serious when a heavy truck is involved because trucks have much longer stopping distances and are more difficult to maneuver.
- Vehicle defects — Semi-trucks are complicated machines that require constant maintenance to ensure that they are roadworthy. Some trucking companies fail to maintain their trucks properly, which can lead to serious safety concerns and wrecks.
Syracuse Truck Accident Injuries
A collision of any type on the roadway can be devastating to the victims. When a collision involves a tractor-trailer or other large commercial truck, the risk of a victim’s being seriously injured increases due to the sheer size and weight of the truck. A fully loaded semi-truck can easily weigh 80,000 pounds — about 75,000 pounds more than the average passenger vehicle.
The size difference between passenger vehicles and heavy trucks means that the resulting injuries are frequently serious enough to allow a truck accident victim to seek compensation outside of New York’s no-fault insurance system.
Under New York law, conditions for a serious injury must include one of the following:
- Significant disfigurement;
- Loss of a fetus;
- Permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function or system;
- Significant limitation of use of a body function or system;
- A medically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which prevents the injured person from performing all of the material acts which constitute such person’s usual and customary daily activities for not less than 90 days during the 180 days immediately following the occurrence of the injury or impairment.
New York trucking accident law is complicated. A qualified, experienced Syracuse truck accident lawyer who works with the law daily and knows the filing deadlines can make a big difference in whether you receive full compensation for your injuries. The truck accident attorneys at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, work with traffic accident reconstruction experts and economic experts to build a compelling case for our clients. We can help file the appropriate paperwork within the deadlines.
Contact a Syracuse Truck Accident Attorney Today
At the Syracuse, New York, law offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, our highly qualified truck accident attorneys have helped many Syracuse residents injured in truck accidents. Whether we resolve your case by negotiating successfully with an insurance company or proceed to trial, we can help ensure that your case is treated with respect and that you receive the maximum amount of damages allowable by law.
If you or a loved one has suffered because of a Syracuse, NY, truck accident, call our New York personal injury attorneys at (315) 314-5390 or 315-314-5390 or contact us via our online contact form for a FREE case review. We also serve clients in Elmira, Watertown, Rochester and Binghamton.