Slip and fall injuries occur when someone falls and becomes injured on the property of another – whether a private home or a business. If you have been injured on somebody else’s property due to a fall, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, as well as medical bills and lost wages.
The Syracuse, NY, injury lawyers at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, help New Yorkers who have suffered serious fall-down injuries. We handle injury cases with respect, and we work hard to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injury after a fall on someone else’s property, call us toll-free or contact us via our online contact form for a FREE initial case review.
Slip and Fall Injuries and Premises Liability Claims
Slip and fall injuries are covered by the legal area known as premises liability, which states that property owners are responsible or liable for injuries sustained on their property. In many cases, owners may be held liable regardless of why the injured victim was on the property in the first place.
There are other questions that the court considers in a fall-down injury case, such as:
- Did the injury result from a natural or artificial condition of the premises?
- Was the property satisfactorily maintained?
- Was the facility inadequately secured?
An injured victim must be able to prove the existence of two key factors in order to successfully win a premises liability or fall-down injury case:
- The existence of a hazardous condition; and
- That the dangerous condition was created by, known about, or should have been known about by the property owner or his employees.
This last concept is key, because most property owners will attempt to claim that they couldn’t possibly have known about the dangerous condition and so they should not be held responsible. The Syracuse injury lawyers at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, work closely with accident reconstruction experts to carefully evaluate the accident scene. We will conduct a thorough search in preparation of your case, to make sure we feel confident about your prospects – and we will advise you whether your interests are best served by settling out of court or proceeding to trial.
If you do suffer injury after a fall on someone else’s property, there are steps you can take to make information gathering easier should you need to take legal action:
- Report your accident to the property owner as soon as possible.
- Gather names, addresses and the telephone numbers of any eyewitnesses.
- Seek immediate medical treatment.
- Keep copies of all of your medical bills (even those paid by insurance) and any documentation of time taken off work.
- Keep the clothing worn at the time, if possible, including shoes.
- Photograph the accident scene or hazardous condition causing the accident.
- You may also want to keep a diary to record your thoughts about your medical treatment or the pain and suffering caused by your injuries.
Contact Our Syracuse, New York, Slip and Fall Attorneys
If you have had an accident on someone else’s property and have legal questions, call the Syracuse injury lawyers at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, toll-free or contact us via our online contact form. Also see our list of Slip and Fall Frequently Asked Questions.
All calls and inquiries are responded to the same day, usually within one hour. There is no case-review cost.