Each year, thousands of car accidents occur across New York, and many cause serious injuries, including head injuries, neck injuries catastrophic injuries and fatal injuries. In 2010, there were more than 170,000 personal injuries and nearly 1,200 fatalities in New York, according to New York traffic accident statistics. Any vehicle can cause a serious crash, but cars are most commonly involved in traffic accidents.
At Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, our Syracuse injury lawyers have helped many New Yorkers severely injured in car accidents. We recognize that car accidents can have a significant financial and emotional impact that reaches well beyond the accident scene. A careless driver caused the accident. But now you have medical bills piling up, have lost income and can’t help support your family. We will work hard to obtain the maximum damages allowed by law from the at-fault driver and their insurance company and will treat your case with the respect and attention you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a New York car accident, call us toll-free or contact us via our online contact form for a FREE case review.
Our Syracuse Car Accident Attorneys See Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents are by far the most frequent type of vehicle accident in New York. More than nine out of 10 vehicles involved in crashes in New York are cars or light trucks.
Certain factors contribute to many car accidents. Among the most common are:
- Distracted driving;
- Driving too fast for conditions;
- Mechanical problems such as brake failures and tire blowouts;
- Drunk driving;
- Road rage.
Syracuse Attorney and New York Car Accident Law
New York law allows you to claim compensation for medical expenses and lost income from no-fault insurance policies. But you are required to file an accident report within 10 days, and you have only 30 days to file a no-fault claim with your insurance company. Other important deadlines include:
- File Accident Report: 10-day deadline
- File No Fault Claim: 30-day deadline
- File claims with the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corp.—responsible for no-fault benefits for those injured by someone without insurance: multiple deadlines
- File for lost wages: multiple deadlines
- File for New York State Disability: 30-day deadline
- File Notice of Claim (if applicable): 90-day deadline
- File claim against other driver: as soon as possible
- File Supplementary Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist claim: as soon as possible
- File car accident personal injury lawsuit: typically within 3 years; a person who was a minor at the time of the accident may be eligible for filing deadline extension.
New York No Fault Insurance
New York no-fault law also requires that if you are seeking damages beyond financial compensation for your bills or damage to your vehicle, your injury must meet a certain threshold of serious injury. Many NY car accident lawsuits are dismissed because the court finds the injuries are not serious enough to entitle the victim to bring a personal injury claim.
Serious injuries under New York law include:
- Loss of a limb
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of a use of an organ, member, or bodily system
- Significant limitation of use of a bodily system or function
- A medically determined impairment or injury that prevents the car accident victim from conducting his usual and customary daily activities for at least 90 days in the six months after the crash.
New York car accident law is complicated. A qualified, experienced Syracuse car accident lawyer who works with the law daily and knows the filing deadlines can make a big difference in whether you receive full compensation for your injuries. The car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, work with traffic accident reconstruction experts and economic experts to build a compelling case for our clients. We can help file the appropriate paperwork within the deadlines.
Contact Syracuse, New York, Car Accident Attorney Today
At the New York law offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, our highly qualified car accident attorneys have helped many Syracuse residents injured in car accidents. Whether we resolve your case by negotiating successfully with an insurance company or proceed to trial, we can help ensure that your case is treated with respect and that you receive the maximum amount of damages allowable by law.
If you or a loved one has suffered because of a Syracuse, NY, car accident, call our New York personal injury attorneys toll-free or contact us via our online contact form for a FREE case review. We also serve clients in Elmira, Watertown, Rochester and Binghamton.