Many cancers can be successfully treated when diagnosed in their early stages. When New York medical providers fail to diagnose cancer due to error, a patient’s long-term outcome may be severely compromised, with serious, even fatal, results.
Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, with an office in Syracuse, New York, represent victims and their families who have been damaged by medical error and misdiagnosis, including cancer misdiagnosis.
Most patients receive appropriate care from their physicians, who are trailed to identify the signs of cancer. Yet mistakes do happen – and these errors can cause patients to lose valuable time or to undergo unnecessary and painful treatments.
Cancer misdiagnosis is considered a form of medical malpractice, and if you or a loved one has been the victim of cancer misdiagnosis, you have the right to seek legal compensation for damages. Call the Syracuse injury lawyers at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, today at toll-free for a FREE consultation, or contact us online.
What causes cancer misdiagnosis?
Among the most common reasons cancer is misdiagnosed are the following:
- A cancerous (or malignant) tumor is identified as non-cancerous (or benign).
- A cancerous lesion is missed in the biopsy procedure.
- The physician fails to refer the patient to a specialist for further testing.
- A malignant tumor is misclassified as to type or misgraded as to aggressiveness.
- Specimens are mishandled by pathology or are improperly read or interpreted.
- Sufficient follow up is not made with a patient when cancer should have been suspected.
- At-risk patients (due to age/ethnicity/family or personal history/gender) are not adequately screened.
- The health care provider fails to understand or notice the nature of a patient’s complaints.
While these errors may be unintentional, the results can be dire for the patient. Cancers may progress quickly to later stages before a correct diagnosis is made, costing the patient valuable time and opportunities for different treatment options.
Contact Our Syracuse Medical Malpractice Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been the victim of cancer misdiagnosis, the Syracuse, NY, injury lawyers at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, can help. We consult with medical and economic experts to prepare a thorough case on your behalf – and we also provide assistance with other legal problems that may arise as your case progresses.
Call our Syracuse law office for a free case review at toll-free or contact us via our online contact form. We respond to all calls and inquiries on the same day, usually within one hour.