A head injury, or traumatic brain injury, is any type of trauma to the head that results in an injury to the skull, brain or scalp. More than 5 million people in the United States are currently suffering disabilities due to head injuries, which can range in severity from memory loss to impairment of key bodily functions.
If you or a loved one has suffered from a brain or head injury and you believe someone else is to blame, contact a Syracuse brain injury lawyer at Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP for information and advice about your rights. Our Syracuse head injury attorneys work with economic and medical experts to help prepare your case. We will also help you decide whether it is more prudent to fight or to settle a case in order to obtain the maximum award.
We offer free case evaluations and respond to all calls and inquiries the same day they are received. Call us or use our online contact form.
Two Million Brain Injuries Annually
Roughly 2 million brain injuries are reported each year in this country, including:
- Concussions: an alteration of consciousness, transient or prolonged, due to a blow to the head that may be followed by transient amnesia, vertigo, nausea, and weak pulse.
- Anoxic brain injuries: caused when the oxygen supply to the brain is cut off.
- Traumatic brain injuries: resulting from rapid acceleration and deceleration of the brain, including shearing (tearing) of nerve fibers, contusion (bruising) of the brain tissue against the skull, brain stem injuries, and edema (swelling).
Not all brain injuries are completely disabling, but many cause long-term effects including:
- Cognitive deficits – difficulties in communication, memory, and language;
- Personality changes;
- Reduction in motor skills such as walking, balance, coordination, fine motor skills and strength;
- Seizures, paralysis, coma or even death.
Damages from Brain or Head Injuries
While some brain injuries are true accidents, others happen because of the negligence of another person or party. In fact, the leading cause of brain injuries is car accidents. When negligence has played a role in a brain or head injury, the victim or family may be entitled to recover damages, including:
- All current and future medical costs;
- Property damage;
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of current and future earnings;
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
Brain and head injury cases are complex, however, because advanced medical testimony is often required from qualified medical experts who can objectively evaluate the long term prognosis of the victim – and illustrate the connection between injury and accident.
Get Help from a Syracuse Brain Injury Lawyer When You Need It Most
At Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, our head injury lawyers work with accident reconstruction and economic experts to help prepare your case. We also provide assistance with other legal problems that arise during the pendency of the case.
Our goal is to provide quality legal services while treating each client with care and respect. If you or one of your family members has suffered a serious brain or head injury, contact our Syracuse injury lawyers for a free consultation toll-free or via our online contact form. We respond to all calls and inquiries the same day received.
Last updated Dec. 5, 2014