Single Mom Has Months To Live After Cancer Misdiagnosis

A Brooklyn woman has less than a year to live after a New York hospital allegedly failed to properly diagnose her cancer.

The 41-year-old single mother began experiencing chest pains in February 2010 and took a bus to the emergency room at Kings County Hospital, according to the New York Daily News.

Doctors ordered an EKG and chest X-ray – and gave her a clean bill of health. A first-year resident said her tests were normal, told her to take Motrin for pain and sent her home.

In fact, the X-ray showed a suspicious, 2-centimeter nodule in her right lung. A written radiology report recommended that she have a follow-up X-ray in three months and, if “clinical concern warrants, a CT scan is suggested.”

But the patient was not given this information, and neither of the recommended follow-up steps were taken.

Two years later, she returned to the emergency room, complaining of wheezing and a cough that had persisted since her initial visit.

A new chest X-ray was taken. It showed the nodule was cancerous, had more than doubled in size and spread to her left lung.

Her diagnosis now was Stage 4 lung cancer, which had metastasized to her liver, spine and brain.

This is from the New York Daily News:

As Wilkinson’s lung cancer galloped unchecked for more than two years, Kings County doctors botched her care, offering her cough medicines, inhalers and steroids in the blind belief that her ailments were caused by her longstanding asthma….

As if a diagnosis of terminal metastatic cancer wasn’t horrible enough, there was one more bombshell to be dropped on [her] — she probably could have been cured.

The Daily News said after reviewing the medical records, “it is unclear how many doctors failed her and how such a lethal lapse could have happened.”

What is clear, the newspaper reported, is that the ER’s first-year resident and the attending physician told her she was fine and discharged her around noon on February 2, 2010. The radiology report that documented the nodule in her right lung, was written at 2 p.m. — two hours after she went home.

The patient has taken steps to file an injury lawsuit. Her claim seeks damages for severe injuries and pain and suffering “as a result of the carelessness, recklessness, negligence and medical malpractice” at Kings County Hospital.

Source: New York Daily News

Comments denied.